Alicecocoz: Texture and Lighting Competition (TOMB RAID)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Alicecocoz: Texture and Lighting Competition (TOMB RAID)

Post by Alicecocoz on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

After so many revisions, here's my final entry. This was achieved using Volumetric fog and lights only. No Sun and Sky used. Textureing was done with UV mapping and some with layered texturing. Dami kong natutunan sa pagsali dito hehe..salamat sa mga organizers tsaka sa mga cc's ng mga members. Smile

MAYA 2008 + Mental Ray + Photoshop for color correction

Hires Here:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk91/Alicecocoz/FinalEntryColorCorrected2.jpg

Last edited by Alicecocoz on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : update)
Alicecocoz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 19/12/2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Alicecocoz: Texture and Lighting Competition (TOMB RAID)

Post by Alicecocoz on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Update update lang....

Alicecocoz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xboy360 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:44 pm

Waw! Gumaganda gumaganda....ano yung object sa lower right side nung image? Parang naalala ko yung ulo ni Pyramid Head sa silent hill...hahaha.. Goodluck bro!
xboy360
Pilote Polyvalent
Pilote Polyvalent

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 10/10/2008

View user profile http://www.xboy360.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph_soriano on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:12 am

sir ganda na neto! nakakakilabot ang dating! good luck sir!
ralph_soriano
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 07/02/2009

View user profile http://www.anonymusdesignstudio.cjb.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicecocoz on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:41 am

xboy360 wrote:Waw! Gumaganda gumaganda....ano yung object sa lower right side nung image? Parang naalala ko yung ulo ni Pyramid Head sa silent hill...hahaha.. Goodluck bro!

Hehe..ataol yun bro. Salamat at nagustuhan mo. Gudluck din sa entry mo. Smile
Alicecocoz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicecocoz on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:42 am

ralph_soriano wrote:sir ganda na neto! nakakakilabot ang dating! good luck sir!

Salamat bro. Gudluck as well Smile
Alicecocoz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Alicecocoz wrote:Heto na, pinagsama ko nalang yung first 2 na concepts ko and dahil na rin sa mga suggestions nio. Ewan ko kung tama lang yung noise sa scene o sobra. As stated semi final update palang, naghahanap pako ng skeleton model tsaka mas magandang model ng lalake, right now kasi parang kulang sa drama eh. Volumetric fog parin po with volume lights (One spot and area) c&c's are welcome as usual.

Render time almost 6 hrs (1280x1024 reso) on Core2duo 2.4 Ghz, sobrang tagal susuko na ata PC ko huhu.
Autodesk Maya 2008 + Mental Ray + Photoshop for color correction lang

The noise may be due to the quality of your indirect lighting solution. I say this because the noise only seems to occur in indirectly lit areas of the image an none on the areas that's hit direct by your key light. I haven't use MR in previous version other than in Max2009. I attempted using MR in Max6, but it was just so darn confusing. That was 3 years ago. I guess all the reading helped. But I have to say that MR now in Max2009 is a breeze to use...at least for my needs.

As for your 6 hours render time, ok na nga yon! sa akin took more than 7 hours only at 486x640. Although i was using 4/64 min/max AA. And you have a faster machine than the one I have...

MR kasi is designed to be tweaked in stages. This is the feeling I get when comparing it to Vray. So, if say, you're still tweaking your materials to get the right surface characteristics or still trying to see if a certain material would look good on your model, you should never use a high AA sampling and FG/GI settings (same goes with image resolution). One has to jump from DRAFT to MEDIUM to almost-PRODUCTION quality and back again to be able to make sensible decisions for the final image. Lastly, don't forget the optimization rollout. The difference between a 5-minute render and a 25-minute one (at same quality) is determined in this section of the renderer.

Now for the CC's:
-some edges are too sharp
-too much noise (unless if you're going for this effect)
-some textures don't have enough resolution for the final render image resolution that you are going for. They begin to blur.
-the grass plant could use some thickness
-is that a painting in the foreground? it's a bit too clean compared to the room...also the metallic post on that table (or coffin?) needs some rust

Your concept is great. Goodluck!

Frank
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 07/03/2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicecocoz on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:54 pm

Frank wrote:
The noise may be due to the quality of your indirect lighting solution. I say this because the noise only seems to occur in indirectly lit areas of the image an none on the areas that's hit direct by your key light. I haven't use MR in previous version other than in Max2009. I attempted using MR in Max6, but it was just so darn confusing. That was 3 years ago. I guess all the reading helped. But I have to say that MR now in Max2009 is a breeze to use...at least for my needs.

As for your 6 hours render time, ok na nga yon! sa akin took more than 7 hours only at 486x640. Although i was using 4/64 min/max AA. And you have a faster machine than the one I have...

MR kasi is designed to be tweaked in stages. This is the feeling I get when comparing it to Vray. So, if say, you're still tweaking your materials to get the right surface characteristics or still trying to see if a certain material would look good on your model, you should never use a high AA sampling and FG/GI settings (same goes with image resolution). One has to jump from DRAFT to MEDIUM to almost-PRODUCTION quality and back again to be able to make sensible decisions for the final image. Lastly, don't forget the optimization rollout. The difference between a 5-minute render and a 25-minute one (at same quality) is determined in this section of the renderer.

First of all, tnx for taking the time in writing a rather long reply. Actually the noise comes from a container that surrounds the whole scene. It works by simulating dust particles to play with the lights once hit thus the effect. If you would notice, it's the opposite of what you mentioned that noise happens on indirectly lit areas, in fact noise is at most with areas closest to the light because this is how the volume shader on the container works. I am aiming a somewhat close result on this one and could reduce the fog's volume.

Thanks for your tweaking inputs as well Smile.

Now for the CC's:
-some edges are too sharp
-too much noise (unless if you're going for this effect)
-some textures don't have enough resolution for the final render image resolution that you are going for. They begin to blur.
-the grass plant could use some thickness
-is that a painting in the foreground? it's a bit too clean compared to the room...also the metallic post on that table (or coffin?) needs some rust

Totally agree with the edges
Lesser noise will do
With the textures, I agree with you they are low res (10 24) I don;t have a texture library hehe. Just used what I could from the net mostly 640 reso.
I can change the grass if I find a better one.
Metallic post I guess are just right since they are stainless, so a little corrosion may be enough. Im not sure though with the painting in the foreground that you are referring to. Is it the coffin cover? Yup I still have to tweak the dirt layer on this one.

Again thank you very much, I appreciate the crits and goodluck as well to your entry Smile
Alicecocoz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xboy360 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:50 pm

Oh mah gash, 7 hours? Ngayon ko lang nabasa...Tapos sobrang nababagalan na ko sa 15-minute rendering time ko. XD Hahahaha tongue
xboy360
Pilote Polyvalent
Pilote Polyvalent

Back to top Go down

Post by render master on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:31 pm

oo nga tagal ng render, hehehehhe. iyong sa akin ORBS simulation, particles din, pero 15 minutes lang, pero anyway.. good luck sir hehehehhe

Game Master
Game Master

Number of posts : 3268
Registration date : 27/09/2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicecocoz on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:38 am

Oo nga tagal ng render ko. Ganito kasi talaga mag work yung parti volume shader, gamit ko kasi 3 lights na nageemit ng mga particles with the help of the parti volume shader. Naka todo kasi yung sampling ng shader kaya ganyan. To add hindi ko na optimize yung ibang mga materials and shaders, sobrang gulo ng hypershade ko. Hindi ko kasi inexpect na mag shift ako sa ganitong output..but it's fun just to join hehe..I'll try to maximize the scene para bumilis..gudluck sakin Very Happy
Alicecocoz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicecocoz on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Just posting my final entry.
Alicecocoz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xboy360 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:55 am

Congrats! Your piece just became my favorite! Ang layo ng final image doon sa wips, talagang inimprove. Winner ka na sakin dude! thumbsup
xboy360
Pilote Polyvalent
Pilote Polyvalent

Back to top Go down

Post by alwin on Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:49 pm

nice dude!
alwin
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 22/01/2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicecocoz on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 am

Maraming salamat mga dude. Mas matitinndi yung sa inyo!..gusto ko yung scatter ng lighting lalo na sa dummy model mo bro xboy. Smile
Alicecocoz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roovette12 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:19 am

nice concept but.. the light outside the window is very distracting.. madilim s loob ng room but s labas super liwanag.. dba kung gnun.. mrming ppsok n liwanag s room?
roovette12
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 19/08/2009

View user profile http://roovette12.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mr dream on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:26 pm

nice kakaiba,galing ng concept.

mr dream
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 05/09/2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top